Skip to content

Flying airliners

Does anybody here fly the big jets or big iron? I mean the a320 and the 737-800 and the 787 and the Citation etc? I have a personal interest in flying these machines but I find it a bit difficult to complete a full flight because I don't have much experience with flight simulators on the one hand and the amount of knowledge required to do it properly on the other. Youtube videos about Flightgear unfortunately are of poor quality with little or no explanation. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Morning!

Indeed, you can get a pretty good simulation of airliner operations using the FlightGear A32x, the MD11 is also pretty good as is the A330.

What bits of the flight are you struggling on? I'm more than happy to help you get where you want to be.

OK the simulations aren't quite as good yet as other commercial sims but if you enjoy flying things like the Airbus and the MD11 then you'll be able to get pretty close and the lacking elements are being worked on all the time.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll help where I can.

Alex

• Hi Alex. Thank you very much for your invitation. Yes I would like to learn as much as possible about the a320 for now and then perhaps take a look at some other planes especially Boeing for the sake of completeness. At the moment I’m trying to get to grips with the MCDU but I also need to understand TOD and how to go about calculating it because Flightgear does not provide this functionality yet.

in an ideal world you would be using Discord and I would be observing you flying and learning at the same time. Only thing is the time difference between England and Melbourne in Australia. Please let me know what you think. Much appreciated.

Joseph

• Joseph,

No problem. What I'd recommend you do with TOD decent is use something like this: https://descent.vercel.app

It's used a lot in the "other" sim's because VNav is a constant battle between developers and their sims. Even the most study-level A3XX aircraft out there (The fenix A320 for MSFS) doesn't have a VNAV implementation that is entirely accurate.

The issue with watching someone and learning is going to primarily be that absolutely everything changes for each flight, even if it's just winds and flightplan or whatever.

I'd use this for a FG compatible Flightplan

http://onlineflightplanner.org

The MCDU in FG isn't perfect, there's a lot that's not implemented yet but there's enough that it's a damn good open source option.

The issue we'll have is the time difference as you state. My simming time is rather limited at best and there's only a couple of evenings a week I'd be able to schedule things in, perhaps it'd be best to do some of it via here (so others can benefit too) and I could try create some videos of other functions as well?

• Hi Alex Yes thank you for your suggestion. I will let you know when I'm ready to plan a flight because at the moment my computer is not working. I accidentally deleted my Nvidia drivers and my PC boots into safe mode only. So as you can see I have a bit of work to do and then we can jump straight into it. Once again thank you. Talk to you soon.

Cheers Joseph

• Hi Alex. Do you know how to access the change log for the a320? I’ curious and would like to follow the progress of the development.

Another question just recently I saw the new update 2030.3.14 but the official Flightgear website does not mention it at all.

anyway thanks mate

• Correction I meant to say 2020.3.14