Skip to content

FlightNight 5th of August 2023 - Copper River Cruise

Starting at 8pm UK time (BST / UTC +1) at PABN. Comms via TeamSpeak. 

Your aircraft for the event needs to be something from the hangar that can maintain 150 knots easily and can take off from a 2,000 ft gravel strip. The Aero Commander works for me. Departure will be from Devils Mountain Lodge (PABN), which is is 2002 ft long. It is the closest I could find to the source of the river. Shame there's such a big mountain range in between. We'll have to climb to about 10,000 ft to get over these.

All downhill after that though, following the river via Duffys Tavern (PADT) and Chistochina (CZO). Break will be at Gulkana (PAGK).

We'll need to get a wiggle on for the second half down the river via Brenwicks (3Z5), Copper Centre (Z93), Chitina (CXC) then on to our final destination of Cordova Smith Airport (PACV).

FlightPlan:

Comments

• Now that sounds excellent, thanks for putting that together Warty!

• The A400M just clears the runway at Devils Mountain Lodge - so I might use that instead

• Super thanks, Warts!

VooDoo

• Crap: I won't be able to attend as I'll be at a birthday party for my niece.

VooDoo

• Sorry you can't make it VooDoo but Im sure there will be many more FightNights for you to attend.

Briefing:

Weather will be "Core high pressure region". This gives a minimal wind from 150 deg. QNH (sea level air pressure) on this weather scenario is 1028 hPa,  30.38 inHg.

Starting sim-time will be "Afternoon" 19:47 Local, 03:47 UTC.

Take-off from Devils Mountain Lodge (PABN) will on runway 14. This is a very cosy airfield and it is short (a 2,000 ft gravel strip), so it's not practical for all to be on the runway together for the start. There is space behind the runway, though it's a bit of a slope. First-come first-served for positions behind me!

This runway also has an uphill slope on it - about 20 feet start to finish. When the gravel runs out there is some grass for some distance which is a bit uneven but useable if needed. 

After take-off, we will head down a valley to our right at around 190 degM, climbing initially to 4,000 ft. Airspeed will be 150 KIAS throughout (except for take-offs and landings).

Here is an improved FlightPlan with the waypoints - though we won't necessarily fly in straight lines between them. 

• Might get there tonight but I'll be late. I definitely need the distraction and to hear friendly voices.

VooDoo