Skip to content

Flightnight 19th of August - Apalachian Trail

We will visit the southern Apalachian Mountains again.

This time we will fly in GA aircraft at a speed of maximum 140kts so please use one of our FGUK civil piston engine aircraft. (Please find them here: https://sites.google.com/view/fgukhangar/flightgear-uk-home-page/hangar/civil-piston)

Leg 1:

We will start at KCBE and fly along the unique Apalachian Mountain terrain towards Danville (8N8) where we will land for our brake.

Leg 2:

After that we will take off again at Danville and fly along a nice river valley towards our final destination Bradford County (N27)

We will fly low and follow the terrain. This will be terrain with lots of forests and nice gentle hills surrounding us as well as some nice narrow river valleys.

Please find the attached GPX files for the kind gentlemen at the route manager down at the end of this entry.

See ya there,

GEED

Comments

• Just realized, I calculated the second leg with 110kts so we will have some extra time flying along the winding river valley. More time to enjoy the terrain and the group. Yay :D

• Thank You, Geed! Is it OK I bring the daVinci_AT-17 or Bf-108?

VooDoo

• Photoscenery for Saturdays flight

OneDrive Link

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmRcwtiRJxd9g9R2waD-roQXrsLE9Q?e=HVf2kC

Install at normal

• All ready to go with the Diamond-Da40

• Is it not on fire, like the rest of the western europe ?

• LOL.......LOL....That's the way I like it.

Your little island will be on fire too when I have a big fart, Porcy... :-p

Just saying, 8 minutes to undress, tell me.... who is on fire Maty. 

We fly on Sunday to Portugal for 10 days and believe it or not it is a bit cooler then here.....very good !

I plan to annoy my daughter. She's scared of flying (no I don't want to fly blablabla)...so I'm gonna pretend I'm sick and puke in the bag.

Will see if it works.

But I don't understand it. She had some flights even as a very small child.

Hm the genetics from my Dad. Not my genetics from this point of view.

So...hasta la vista Baby.

• edited August 2023

Sounds fun eagle lol, I'll probably fly the taifun or the TBM Avenger.

• edited August 2023

32C here today and then tomorrow it starts to get hot - temperatures hovering around 38C all week. Climate change or just bad luck?

You guys in the EU and UK - do you have air conditioning there as a general rule or is that not a "thing"? I have central air conditioning so I intend to hide inside.

VooDoo

• VooDoo absolutely no problem. You do that :)

In fact, I will extend the choice of aircraft to WWII planes as well as they are able to fly at that speed and are fun :)

• And, Sanni, you know what you'll be flying, if you attend ;)

• Most likely everywhere south of 45N you'll see air cons being used.

Not where we live though - we are basically living on the same latitude as Calgary - even further north. Stuart is basically living where Edmonton Alberta is and you know about their climate ;)

• edited August 2023

oO

• I'd agree that the further south you go in Europe the more likely it is you'll see aircons being used, but they are not necessarily common everywhere.  It's quite common in public buildings round here - and in larger shops. It's also common in the tourist areas on the Costas. Foreign tourists often can't deal with the heat. It's always muggy near the sea in summer and typically +3C warmer than where we live - we never go to the seaside at this time of year. 

I have lived just below 37N for twenty years now without aircon. Very few of my neighbours have it either. They are available if you want them (and can afford the electricity). It's no hotter than a typical summer at the moment. Even so, we think we might crack next year. As we get older the heat is bothering us more. 

Haven't seen a forest fire round here for a many years. They are normally caused by idiocy. But the consequences, if they track you down are severe - including jail time and the bill for dealing with the fire. Enough to make even an idiot think twice before having a summer barbecue in the woods. This blaze destroyed 3,354 hectares in our Natural Park and took eight days to put out involving 277 firefighters.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-pensioner-fined-10-6-million-for-starting-spain-forest-fire-8ljj3gxmvph

• Where I live, here in Central Europe, a lot of people have AC (especially on the coast) but there's still plenty that don't, like me lol. In the summer it can get really hot especially near the coast (well over 30°C), but I'm lucky I live near the Alps so the summers are a bit milder (between 20°C to 30°C).

• @geed: I would like to fly with you. My FG does'nt like to start -- very big problem here. I can't find out whats wrong:

osgxr, fg 2020.3, openscenegraph/openscenegraph34, ......... (heul)

• Latest nightly would not run on my system ether

• Which version are you running?

• Up to now: 2020.4 git version

2020.4 does'nt start with the error 'unable to create a 3d window' and:

StatsHandler::StatsHandler() Setting up GL2 compatible shaders

0.04 [ALRT]:view    Not creating osgViewer::CompositeViewer

Now checking for plug-in osgPlugins-3.4.1/osgdb_nvtt.so

0.06 [INFO]:OSG    Error: Not able to create requested visual.

242.58 [ALRT]:event   Shutdown of non-init-ed group.

When I try to compile it it says 'you need osgxr': osgxr has a bug (include <cstdint> missing). When I add that entry it is deleted when makepkg is started. Not possible to renew 2020.4!

Trying to create 2020.3 ends with:

In Datei, eingebunden von /home/sanni/downloads/flightgear/src/flightgear-2020.3.18/utils/fgelev/fgelev.cxx:30:

/usr/include/simgear/props/props.hxx:1403:18: Fehler: »shared_mutex« in Namensbereich »std« bezeichnet keinen Typ

1403 |   mutable std::shared_mutex _mutex;

/usr/include/simgear/props/props.hxx:1403:13: Anmerkung: »std::shared_mutex« ist erst ab C++17 verfügbar

1403 |   mutable std::shared_mutex _mutex;

make[2]: *** [utils/fgelev/CMakeFiles/fgelev.dir/build.make:76: utils/fgelev/CMakeFiles/fgelev.dir/fgelev.cxx.o] Fehler 1

make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2636: utils/fgelev/CMakeFiles/fgelev.dir/all] Fehler 2

make: *** [Makefile:166: all] Fehler 2

==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().

Breche ab...

Don't know what to do.

• edited August 2023

Wish I could help you Sanni.

VooDoo