Skip to content

UK Scenery

Hey folks,

I mainly fly around the UK and was wondering if anyone knew of any good UK scenery to install or for anyway to make the defaults look better?

I’m flying on Linux if that has any influence…

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

Comments

• Photoscenery is probably your best bet, but maybe someone already redid the scenery I just can't remeber who or where to download it right now.

• There's no more comprehensive scenery available yet, other than what's in FG with the OSM stuff and orthographic textures.

Here's some shots of you departing Gatwick earlier and, as a local who's flown in the area quite a bit, that's pretty close to how it looks.

• Damn, I had a glitch with the model on my end, with the wings doing a hell of a dance XD, eventually crashed into a field after an aborted landing.

That’s a great shot Alex :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aDsv7_xsu6Rq3Nkuwq0LJr2T0hg2UpFI/view?usp=drive_link

England/UK Orthophotos link courtesy of Stuart on last weeks flight.

VooDoo

• Is there a guide on how to install the Orthophotos? Never done it before :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• edited August 2023

I have a folder on my Desktop for Custom Scenery:

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Save!\Custom Scenery\WorldOrthoScenery

Then in the launcher. under Add-ons/Additional Scenery Folder Click "Add" and direct it to this location making sure it's on top of the list.

I just downloaded and installed the latest Nightly Build and everything works and it seems fast on frame rates and loading etc.

VooDoo

• Yep, as VooDoo says you just need to add it into the Add-ons/Additional scenery bit.

The only thing is it needs to have a folder called Orthophotos in it before it gets into the Lat/Long stuff.

Current example for the Malta stuff:

X:\FG\Scenery\Malta\Orthophotos

Then beneath that the folder structure so FG knows where to put it:

So I've got the "Malta" directory added in the additional scenery section of the FG launcher.

You also need to make sure that in your FG (when loaded in to the sim) it's got Photoscenery ticked, I think in the rendering settings menu?

Let us know if you get any issues.

• edited August 2023

OK, so while we are talking about Custom Scenery and Orthos and such I have a question(s) - I have saved all the Custom Scenery we have generated (including Orthophotos) in my Custom Scenery folder. Cumulatively it is 176 GB on my C: drive which is a 2 TB SSD. I still have 500 GB Free on that drive.

Is this a stupid thing/dangerous thing to be doing? Should I just be saving and running Custom Scenery for FlightNight and then dumping it and only keeping stuff like Custom Scenery for England, Spain, etc permanently?

I was assuming I'd get a warning eventually that I had limited space left and then purge enough Custom stuff but now it has occurred to me that having this much Data might not be a good idea. Thoughts? Do you guys keep FlightNight Orthos long term?

VooDoo

• edited August 2023

Do Orthos work with OSM buildings? And does it work with automatic scenery download?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• edited August 2023

Yes and Yes. Are you flying FGFS 2020.4.0?

VooDoo

• Ok thanks VooDoo, I’m just moving the extracted files into my custom scenery folder, then I’ll have a look around :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• In my terrasync folder lives my Orthophotos folder.

This way the Orthos just get dropped in that and load without needing to add a custom directory

• Cool Idea!

VooDoo

• Holy Cow! Flying with orthos much improves the look and quality, even with the quality slider in sim at 3. I’m definitely leaving these on XD. Thanks folks for helping get it setup.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Glad it works!

VooDoo

• I keep everything. Occasionally I'll turn something off if it's causing a conflict but that's normally while messing around. I haven't had anything conflict properly in ages, only where we might have flightnight in the same place a few years later and there be some custom scenery or something.

No downside to keeping it all as long as it's just orthos and good stuff.

• Now, is there any good UK airport scenery? Like the buildings, etc? Or any ones with decent models by default?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• This was me checking out the orthos at low level around my local, and there is also a blue glider VooDoo in the top middle of the shot. :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Your choice of chopper is terrible. One of the ugliest there is.

• My choice of chopper was based on can I fly it without too much “oh shit I’m upside down” and can it fly out of the airport irl. I personally love the MD902.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• It is a BUS heli-hooper

• CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Grab FGUK Choppers and check them out - Stuarts FDMs make regular stuff look like garbage.

VooDoo

• I do fly FGUK heli’s sometimes, namely the MD500e, Cougar and Wessex. Tried the others but I personally haven’t gotten the hang of flying them, crashing them is easy, flying not too much (again personally).

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• https://wiki.flightgear.org/List_of_developed_airports

That's the list of airports as it officially stands.

There's actually a lot more around but it's not very well publicised. Lots of the RAF bases are done.

I like to use this: https://scenery.flightgear.org/static/map/index.html

Zoom in close enough you can see the blue and red icons indicating scenery. The more icons the better the scenery (generally)