Skip to content

Making a paintkit/livery map in Blender

Hi, I want to make a custom livery for a plane that doesn’t have livery support (yet). The existing paintwork which I want to replace isn’t helpful as to the shape of the aircraft. How can I create a livery map/paintkit or whatever it’s called in Blender from the model?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

Comments

• If you can figure this out, you will be getting a lot of work chucked your way..............

• That’s not a bad thing, I’ve enjoyed making liveries recently :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

• There lots of tutorials on Youtube for UV mapping and painting textures but if the model as a million bits you end up with a million shapes which are hard to know which bit of the aircraft there from.

The MSFS texture tutorial look simple as the MSFS models look to be imported into blender as large objects i.e. fuselarge, wings so you have a good shape to work with.

Trouble with these tutorial they make it look easy and you you need to be good with Blender.

Has Stuart says if you find a simple way of creating a simple UV map which can then be painted in Gimp/PS etc and use layers to keep it reusable for future texture liveries.