Skip to content

Flightnight April 13 - Cruising California in Choppers!

we'll meet at 8 pm London Time at ICAO: KBUR - Hollywood Burbank Airport. Please bring the Chopper of your choice from the FGUK Hangar that can attain/maintain 100 KIAS for an hours duration up to 12,000 Feet

I have attached a Route Manager file that lists all the points we need for scenery gathering but the actual route will not be point to point except the second half,

We'll depart Burbank and then head South to observe the "Hollywood" sign on the side of a mountain, Observe downtown Los Angeles, turn northish again until we reach Pasadena, and then trek along the side of the mountains until we land at our midpoint refresh and refuel point of L35 - Big Bear City Airport.

After refresh and refuel we will depart South to, and overfly KBNG, KPSP, KTRM and land at Heliport: 29CA as our final destination. Comms on TeamSpeak as always. Lots of cool and California specific scenery to observe so we hope to see a big turn out.

VooDoo

Comments

• Last Heliport is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off in FG.

FG location:-

Actual location

Someone messed up in FG land.

• That’s a shame, from the satellite map there it looks a beautiful area.

Does that mean you’ll be taking the H145 on the FlightNight?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

• If its not release im not taking it as no one else could see it

• Some photoscenery for this flightnight

OneDrive Link

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmRcwtiRJxd9g_xlp3_aOODxVjr6_g?e=eCkhRk

Enjoy

• Thanks Oly!

VooDoo

• I generated the correct airport in the correct location.

Here's the file:

• Well, the change of position will upset the timing of the flight ( because its based on the original FG location ). Up to VooDoo if he wants it used or not.

• edited April 12

yup I agree, @VooDoo_daVinci it's up to you.

• Hi Cyber_Gamer

You need to write a tutorial on how to create airfields in the correct location.

I have two local airfields I would love to work on and my old gliding club which FG got about a mile displaced.

• edited April 12

Oof that would be tough, I managed to get this working with the help of my friend TheFGFSEagle. A while back he walked me through the process of setting up and compiling TerraGear, I built and compiled it on my WSL as I do not have a native Linux distribution and TerraGear works best and easiest on Linux. So for that you need TerraGear and then he also created an awesome pip module that does the scenery generation automatically, you just have to have a .dat file and the script does the rest. I don't use this so often these days as I'm incredibly busy so I'm not current with the required processes to get it set up.

Basically you need:

1st: TerraGear, preferably on Linux or as in my case WSL if you're on Windows

2nd: install the pip module fgtools

3rd: get the .dat file for your desired airport

4th: run the genws20 script from the fgtools module, use genws20 --help to get more info on the script and how to use it

Note: this scripts only generate the groundnet of the airport so you'll only get runways, heliports, taxiways, windsocks etc., it does not generate buildings, for that you need to place them manually via the UFO and the export the btg file, idk how to do that as I've never done it before.

That's sadly all I know rn, as far as I remember it was a real pain in the rear to get TerraGear running.

Also, the .dat file for 29CA, that I generated from the x-plane scenery gateway via the pull-xplane-aptdat script from fgtools, had the wrong coordinates so I had to edit the .dat file manually to change them. That's probably why it was also in the wrong place in FG.

If you want to fix your airport and get up and running with everything mentioned above I'd recommend you reach out to TheEagle on the FG forum or through the FG discord. Also if you'd like I could generate the airports for you, if you don't wanna go through the whole process

• edited April 13

We are flying to the points outlined in the Flightplan and I have timed things accordingly. The possibility that some Bozo has put stuff in the wrong place matters not. We are headed to and shall land at 29CA (in it's present location via TerraSync) as our final destination. It's in the scenery and it exists in FGFS. Not much to see there - it's a heliport but the surrounding scenery is fabulous.

I plan flights on what we have for scenery and locations in FlightGear on the fly. Follow me and you'll be fine.

VooDoo

• edited April 13

Ahh, Rule 3 of Flight Night - If in doubt, follow the Flight Leader.

• Hi Cyber_Gamer

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I thought you may have come across a method a average person may be able to use.

I am Windows users and have tried the method you detailed and failed at Terragear/FGTools stage.

• Yeah you and me both lol, I'm so happy that TheEagle helped me as he's the developer for fgtools, I couldn't've done it without him.