Skip to content

FlightNight July 20 - We Need a Volunteer!

As Uncle VooDoo has a family obligation for this date I'm hoping someone can step forward and plan a flight. If not, no problemo. Meet at 8 pm London Time at ICAO: EGOD and make a plan according to who shows up and who wants to do what.

If I'm not there at flight time I hope to be along shortly.

Rock and Roll Friends!

VooDoo

Comments

• How about a carrier-ops night? Maybe in the Caribbean. I ran some Nimitz trips off EGOD today and it seems to work - if a bit fiddly to set up.

• Carriers dont work properly on MP at the moment.

AI is fine.

• In what way don't they work? I had several people landing on my Nimitz today - various helis and an F35.

• several people landing on my Nimitz

Sounds bad but I know what you're talking about XD

It worked fine at one point, then it stopped, seems very picky.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

• I tested a few weeks ago with Alex and we were only seeing the local AI versions, and not the MP versions

• You can't select an MP Carrier until you are within about 5nm of it. And, depending on the View Adjust LOD range settings it may not be visible till you are almost on top of it. Yes, it's fiddly.

• edited July 14

Also the select an MP Carrier may need a bit of cycling. You can only select one so, as in today, where I had two running you have to pick the one you are heading to. I just landed on one in the Caribbean - off Saba. The airport is badly borked (TNCS).

I'm off for dinner now but I'll leave it running.

• I just flew the BO105 out to where you are on MP and I couldn't see you, nor were you an option in the MPCarrier selection.

Maybe for the FN we could have an AI carrier strike group? Or just a AI carrier?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

• An AI carrier is personal to you. It starts where and when you initialise it. The point of the MP Carrier is to synchronise that model for everyone on MP. Anyway, I'll just drop the idea.

• Don't drop it.

It'll be nice to have a carrier night.

I crash constantly - It's hilarious.

Porcy

• I've got it FGUK'ers - I'll come up with something.

• Thanks Alex - I have been flying the F4U on and off Carrier decks for weeks. The carrier appears over MP and is on the MP map. More Testing is needed.

VooDoo

• Now hear this!

As a naval aviator, the sequence needs to be:

Make sure you have the MPCarrier folder in data/Aircraft/

Go to an area near the carrier in MP

Open the pilots list

Click on "view" in the pilots list "mp-nimitz" player which forces the model to load - even though it is non existent initially

Wait a few seconds

Open the "MPCarriers online" selector

Pick the carrier

That is all

. . . works for me

#TLDR:

The MPCarrier folder is available at: https://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/MPCarrier.zip

AI/nimitz_demo.xml simply loads the model from Models/Geometry/Nimitz/nimitz.xml and sets up start location, hdg, speed and parking spots

If someone runs Aircraft/MPCarrier/nimitz-set.xml (ie: to actually control a Nimitz carrier):

It loads Aircraft/MPCarrier/common.xml for help, MP properties, HUD + keys

It loads Systems/nimitz-views.xml

The model it loads is Aircraft/MPCarrier/Models/mp-nimitz.xml

##############################################################################

# The on-load Nasal is not executed when this file is loaded as the user

# aircraft.

So it would seem this is only there for MP users wanting to connect to it as a pilot. It loads Aircraft/MPCarrier/Systems/MPCarriers.nas under the name "MPCarriers"

## Nasal module for connecting a local AI carrier to a MP player.

# This module is intended to be loaded under the name MPCarriers.

Note that the pilot's system only come here if it has an entry in the pilot's list and needs to load it.

It reads "/sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign and creates a manager for this callsign (to drive the AI model)

It looks for any /ai/models/carrier scenario entries and checks them against "carrier_name" to make sure the pilot has the relevant AI scenario is running on his machine.

<scenario>nimitz_demo</scenario> is set by default in /defaults.xml so it should be running anyway.

/sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign takes some time to be loaded - probably at the time it becomes visible - which may be very close, depending on LOD settings. Clicking on view in the pilots list forces the model to load - even though it is non existent initially. There is no model for mp-nimitz.xml - it is just a nasal script to create a controller for the AI Nimitz. 

It should then be available in the "MPCarriers online" selector after a delay of a few seconds and it will take over control of your AI scenario Nimitz and place it where the MP Nimitz is positioned.

see also:

https://wiki.flightgear.org/Carrier_over_MP#Pilot_Using_the_Carrier

• Just a side note.

The MPCarrier folder will likely only work properly in your FG DATA/Aircraft folder, not a custom aircraft folder.

• Agreed - nowhere else will do.