Skip to content

Linux 2020.4 nightly builds

Due to my excellent PC performance (Not!!!) I thinking of experimenting with making my main PC a dual boot with Linux and running the Linux version of 2020.4 nightly build.

I do have a working Lubuntu installation on a older pc which as a older version of FG on and the question is how to get a working 2020.4 from the nightly build section?

Also will my pedals & sticks work under Linux (CH Products pedals and Fighterstick)?

Comments

• The nightly AppImage should work on Lubuntu (I haven't actually tested on Lubuntu recently but I am a Ubuntu user) - in fact the nightly appimages are more likely to work on recent distros than stable due to the build script for stable being a bit behind.

I regularly test the nightly appimage with a git install of fgdata from https://gitlab.com/flightgear/fgdata (it's a bit quicker than the sourceforge mirror, but you have to checkout next afterwards)

I have CH pedals, throttle & figtherstick that worked fine in FG linux, only recently switched to an X-56 due to space issues (no feet space)

• Thanks for the reply, I will go with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, just need a chance to install it.

Not had a lot of luck installing stand alone software other than the linux programmes which come with the distribution, these are easy to install.

• It depends on how much experience you have with Linux really - any of the Ubuntu or Debian variants can also use the download & compile script in the flightgear/fgmeta repository as well

The AppImage is designed so that it works a bit easier (although to be honest there are so many differences across the Linux distribution landscape it can be a pain at times)

For various reasons it doesn't include fgdata, so you can either grab the tarball for that from sourceforge, extract it & point the launcher at it when it asked you, or use a git clone of the fgdata repository

• My latest build was with Linux Mint, and used the download and compile script to install flightgear. official repos seem to be quite outdated more often than not.

• Does anyone with an AppImage have it working on an Arch distro at the moment?

Mine was working till the latest update and now It just crashes on launch with absolutely no errors at all.

• I can check it when I get home from work

• edited May 2022

No crash with 2022-05-04 AppImage I'm afraid - any/all aircraft?

I don't have any other nightly appimages I'm afraid

The only thing I can suggest is running it with --appimage-mount, cd-ing to the mount point, setting the variables from the script & running fgfs directly to see what happens:

cd /tmp/.mount_FlightdPNjkN <-- this is variable

HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "${0}")")"

export SIMGEAR_TLS_CERT_PATH=$HERE/usr/ssl/cacert.pem

export OSG_LIBRARY_PATH=${HERE}/usr/lib

${HERE}/usr/bin/fgfs

• I'm using 2020.4 from the AUR. It's version flightgear-git 2020.4.0r15376.4e432b3f8-1.

Did you try to build that version?

• Update

This week I screwed up my main PC installing Linux resulting in wipping out so,e of my partitions, Windows 10 worked then failed to boot so in the end installed Ubuntu 20.4 nd started installing all the software I need.

Installed GF 2020.3.12 but this crashes very soon after running FG. This morning I was in the computer shop and bought a s/h PC better spec than my old machine.

Also my third oldest PC (Lubuntu 20.3) stopped accepting my password could be to do with lack of disk space.

Been a fun week!!!!