Skip to content

CH53E Liveries

The liveries seem ok with FG, though I may have done some minor re-mapping.

Download:

John-Bray/ch53e_Liveries_FG

There is also a normal-map in the download. The paint-kit is here:

John-Bray/CH-53E_PaintKit

Comments

• edited July 2022

Made a couple more:

These are derivatives from a DCS version - which is itself a derivative of the FGUK version . . . that is derived from the .org !

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316599/

• Looks COOL....good stuff !!!

• edited July 2022

Thanks. I wasn't able to run this in FG until I got my new machine last week. Downside though is that ALS is no longer an option. The MacOS version of FG seems to be made for an Intel/OpenGL combo. The M1 Max does an OK job of emulating an Intel chip but the "Metal" graphics can't deal with ALS.

• I am not up to date with MacOS or Windows. In the past I must worked with MacOS and Windows but I have no idea today. I can remember that the Kernel of MacOS is a Linux one if I am right. Linux works fine for me great OS whatever linux derivative they have all the same kernel. And the desktop environment you can customize how I want it to look like it's a mac or windows or something cool. Linux derivatives only differ in their package management and their support.

The bash is always the same but uhm yes Manjaro has no package management I think. I am not so deep in that stuff forgive me if I am say something wrong.

• I think we're stuck a bit on macOS until James gets access to an ARM Mac - but also we're stuck on the compatibility profile of OpenGL until the fixed function stuff is removed (I think)

I have an M1 Max as well - it's fast & runs FG on emulated Intel well, but ALS looks weird (Rembrandt works on stable though)

• I have a native M1 build from a year back but it also doesn't look quite correct with ALS.

• I've just built next on M1 Max & yeah it's a bit of a disappointment

It seems to be a bit quicker than emulated - but only for lower spec aircraft that aren't overloaded with shaders

For building I did:

• Xcode 13
    • small fix to plib (xcode/clang error tells you what to change)
    • everything else installed from homebrew (including qt5 & osg)
    • simgear patched from the outstanding merge request (1 was already applied, 1 only partially applied & had to be done manually)
    • flightgear needed extra simgear headers installed

Outstanding issues:

• 4k HiDPi resolutions result in a quarter of the window being used - workaround is to use ResolutionTab app (free on AppStore) to disable HiDPi - emulated build doesn't have this issue
    • some graphical settings changes result in crashes
    • No shadows
    • ALS colours are dark
    • distant terrain is white
    • overlay shader causes what looks like z-fighting
    • sometimes get a white ring around the sun (like we used to get on Rpi4)

• Back in the day you pointed me to some patch that fixed the HiDPi issue.

So my build doesn't have that issue. But I don't remember what I

needed to edit to fix it.

• Thanks for the reminder - I found the post on the main forum - I'll have a another go with james branch of OSG