Skip to content

Gnat T1

Starting to make some progress on the conversion from X-Plane.

Maybe I'll have it ready for Christmas!

Comments

• Maybe I'll have some time by then too

Looks good though.

• edited August 2023

Looks awesome

• Amazing start, tried the XP version and it's amazing. Let me know if you need any help :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

Callsigns: G-ORBI

• edited September 2023

It's a start:

http://alpujarran.net/files/FG/Gnat_T1.zip

Still some work for me with cockpit + animations.

No sounds, no lights, no smoke, no MP and no effects. If anyone wants to take any of these things on, fill yer boots.

• Great fun little thing. Only had time for a few minutes play but looking forward to giving it more of an outing. Great stuff, Warty.

• I think I can help with the smoke, could always repurpose the smoke from the Hawk which has the red,white,blue set already.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• edited September 2023

Bear in mind that any contributions must be strictly GPL - and I think the FGUK Hawk is. Though I can't see it in the hangar.

I will maintain my files in this repo from now on:

https://github.com/John-Bray/Gnat_T1_FG

Edit: this is now in the FGUK hangar

This is fine for keeping your own copy updated to the latest version. However, I would recommend against using pull requests unless they are minor changes to .xml or .nas files. As a guideline, anything with over 50 changes in is unlikely to be looked at by me. If you use an editor that automatically generates syntax layout to satisfy the style-police it will probably generate so many changes that I won't be able to spot what you did. 

New files (as possible "includes" or for loading) are fine. 

Don't even think about modifying the existing .ac files and submitting them as a pull-request. If you think that an existing model needs changing, please use the "issues" button and we can discuss this. Unless you are using AC3D 9.0.22 with the X-Plane plug-in, any changes to an existing .ac file will likely make it unusable to me.

Thanks

In most cases it will probably be simpler to just explain what you want to do in this topic.

• What format are the XP sound files? They could be transferred over. And the smoke... I can test with a local copy later on.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• I could probably add the Hawk sound files to this myself - even though I don't really know what I am doing. Provided that is OK with FGUK ??

• Had an amazing time flying it earlier, went from Duxford to Lydd then autopilot up to off Scottish coast where I crashed (no fuel). Really fun to fly, great work Warty, also enjoy the screenshots.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Thanks for the screenshots. It helps to see how things appear on a "normal" machine. The instrument lighting probably needs to be a bit less ferocious.

• I’m fiddling with my local copy trying to figure out the smoke, and if it works do you want me to submit a PR to the Github?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• I'd rather you just .zip the new/changed files and post them here. If all is well, I can add animations to the smoke-colour switches in the cockpit.

I tried putting the Hawk sound files in and they kind of work, but sounds are pretty inaudible inside the cockpit. I'm thinking that maybe not really knowing what I am doing with sound stuff doesn't make me the best guy for the job.

• The display smoke switch animations have been added in GitHub, in anticipation of your imminent success :o)

Properties are:

/Gnat_T1/smoke/red

/Gnat_T1/smoke/white

/Gnat_T1/smoke/blue

they are integers, 0 =OFF, 1= ON

• Thank you, I’ll grab that version and fiddle some more, last night I had no success but I’m going to try again today with fresh eyes.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Added animations for the altimeter baro adjustment. Added Instruments/Panel lighting adjustment animations.

• @LinuxGamer - if you are still struggling with this you can take a break. I've just about cracked the display smoke.

• Yh, I’ve got a button in the menu that gives an error to the nasal console. I’m happy for you to take it :). I did get the hawk sounds working on my local copy if that’s something that needs to be sent :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Display smoke is loaded to GitHub and ready for testing

Yes, please post your changes to get the sounds working.

• Lemme grab the latest git version so there isn’t any conflicts.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• edited August 2023

@Warts Working sounds for you. Damn getting 400 error on uploading the zip.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• too big? take out the .wav files unless you have changed some of them

• These ones I already have . .

• This has all the changed files :) just a couple of tweaks to the paths allow the sound to work :)

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• edited August 2023

Also one thing I noticed is that the ball compass (left if cockpit) doesn’t spin.

And with smoke makes it even more of an awesome aircraft. Is manual startup coming to the FG version (idk how easy it is)?

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• It will "catch up" if you stop turning for long enough. It behaves a bit like a bunch of onions dangling from a Gazelle roof

It is an E2-type compass. They are extremely wobbly/laggy - and can only be used in straight and level flight. Though you need to move your head to fix the parallax. Typically used to periodically adjust the Directional Gyro(s). They were calibrated as part of a standard compass-swing. I know, I was that soldier.

https://scottbouch.com/mcfs/lightningt5t55/docs/ap1275b-vol1-sect10-chap8-al6-apr57-magnetic-compasses-e2-types.pdf

I have added your sound files. Thanks for those. Ive been trying to Push the changes for some time now but GitHub just has the spinny-wheel thing. It'll go eventually, I'm sure. In any case you already have this mod.

That is probably about it from me. If FGUK want to add it to their hangar they can take it from here.

• All the switches are there for a manual start - including animation axes. These are the white lines that denote that they have not yet been allocated an action. Manual starts are just not things that interest me. I spent a good chunk of my formative life years sat in the left seat of helicopters figuring out why they would not start by watching the dials/indicators. It has long since lost its magic for me.

• I’m happy to work on the manual start, and add an autostart button on the menu. I understand it’s not for everyone. And if FGUK add this to the hangar, that would be great.

CJ

OrbitalMartian

• Just flew this around EDDF (without ATC!) and find it to be quite nice. Well done and thank you to all contributors.

VooDoo

• edited August 2023

It is indeed a nice aircraft to fly. It’s the only one I can successfully fly with trim XD.

Is there interest for FGUK to add this to the hangar?

CJ

OrbitalMartian