Skip to content

CASA C-101 Aviojet

edited July 2023 in Release announcements

This was developed for FG about ten years ago and issued as GPL by the org. I've had no luck tracking down the original developers. Apart from bit of minor tinkering with the liveries, my main part in this was making a new cockpit/interior for it.

It is available for download at:

https://github.com/John-Bray/C-101

I have tried it out and have noted that:

There is no instrument glass or instrument lighting. I could add this, though I'm not sure it's a priority. I'm happy to take on any AC3D modelling work if something shows up.

There is no instrument lighting. I don't remember how to fix this and it has possibly changed anyway.

There don't appear to be any MP properties. Not my part of the ship. 

Normal maps are not being used. There are two available ... C-101/Models/Textures/NormalMap.png and C-101/Models/Effects/normalmap.png which are based on my X-Plane version. I can make these but can't really test them. FG graphics are pretty crap on a modern-day Mac (no ALS or Rembrandt).

There are probably also issues with reflectivity/glossiness but I wouldn't be able to tell. 

Edit: Just noticed that there is a shader in C-101/Models/CASA_C-101EB.xml that calls for

C-101/Models/Effects/reflect-bump-spec_shiny that leads to

C-101/Models/Textures/NormalMap.png so maybe it does have a bumps/normals but I just can't see them?

Comments

• Downloaded and will have a play later today

• edited July 2023

The liveries work over MP - which is more than some aircraft we use :o)

Theoretically, smoke might work (from 1977_C-101EB-set.xml)

• I can help work on MP if needed - your C-101 is one of my favourites

I'm in the same boat with macOS - it's almost unusable on ARM macs right now. Thankfully I have a Linux machine as well

• Yes, EnRogue, please do! The canopy and landing lights would be nice. I tried this but they don't seem to work:

<!-- floats -->

<float n="0" alias="/controls/door[0]"/>

<float n="1" alias="/controls/door[1]"/>

<float n="2" alias="/controls/door[2]"/>

Cheers

• You have a merge request - initial property mirroring code in the model nasal, canopies & landing light animation are working

• Many thanks for that, EnRogue. I'll have a look at the missing instruments-glass next. I think it would be a nice touch (even though I may not be able to see it!)

• I've added instruments-glass to the cockpit_INT_FG.ac model and added this to cockpit_PILOT.xml ...

<effect><!-- SHADERS -->

<inherits-from>Aircraft/C-101/Models/Effects/reflect_glass</inherits-from>

<object-name>Instrument_glass</object-name>

</effect> 

I can't tell if this works or not on my machine. Maybe someone could have a look at it?

Same repo:

https://github.com/John-Bray/C-101/

• Just downloaded and flew it around WAJO.....loved the aircraft. Well done and thank you! I crashed it but I chose a poor place for a test flight. Later I'll check it at a "normal" airport.

VooDoo

• They are based at LELC, for which we already have the orthos.

• Flew a couple touch and goes at EGKK. I love it....very nice. Trying to keep my mind busy at approaching evening so I'll try LELC.

VooDoo

• Seems to need a very long take off run but it has no afterburner so...is that normal?

V00Doo

• Its not very gifted in the power department

• edited August 2023

It is pretty underpowered. Export variants had better engines so maybe we could cheat a bit here?

C-101 BB/ENAER T-36 Falcon (Chilean and Honduran Air Forces)

C-101 CC/ENAER A-36 Falcon (Chilean and Jordanian Air Forces)

The most noticeable difference between the two versions is the engine, the EB (from 1977) being the least powerful, with 3,550 pounds of thrust, followed by the BB (1981) with 3,700 lbs. The CC version (1986) has, instead, a 4700 lbs. thrust, greatly improving its flight qualities.

And it's not helped by the amount of fuel. The starting contents appear to be in. C-101/C-101EB-JSBSim.xml starting at line 139. I believe that the Spanish AF that first commissioned this, insisted on it having a potential attack role and had to be capable of reaching the Canary Islands which are only 62 miles from the coast of Morocco. For air displays, they operate with just enough fuel to do the display and get back down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj2RZYsHFuw

• Here is the FDM for the CC version

• The Spanish airforce version *is* rather underpowered - the DCS C-101 is referred to as the hairdryer by players due it's sound :D

The CC is the best to fly by a long shot

BTW I can't see any difference with the glass shaders - but I'm on Linux & the drivers there are variable