Skip to content

Spawning on the best runway/active runway.

It never happens for me - I I tell the launcher to place me on the best runway based on wind it is never the correct runway. Always a crosswind or the wrong direction.

What Am I doing wrong?

VooDoo

Comments

• Are you starting it with MP initialised?

If so it'll purposefully not put you on the active runway. I'll be honest I've not tested it much as I will always ask it to put me on an apron if I want to fly accurately but appreciate that's not always good for testing

• When you say "based on wind", what wind do you mean? Is it it from a weather scenario like this

or from "Real-world weather"? or from a METAR? Or something else? And how do you know what your wind is?

• I never start with MP enabled. I set my weather just like Warts Example and when I spawn the wind is coming from anywhere but in front of me usually. Starting on the Active Runway should be wind from my nose, right? Or not necessarily?

VooDoo

• Most weather scenarios have a wind from 150 degrees. More to follow . . . .

• edited September 2023

You can see how the weather scenarios are set up in

data/Environment/environment.xml

Apart from the oddball ones - that we tend not to use much - they mostly have a wind from 150 degrees. Where I live, the wind almost never comes from there. Mostly, in the mid-northern hemisphere it is mostly from the west-ish. So a lot of runways are are also generally west-ish. One way to beat this is to add a command line, like this:

--metar="XXXX 012345Z 27005KT 10SM SCT036 SCT150 17/08 Q1016 NOSIG"

the "270" is the wind heading. Other options are available.

Edit: "Starting on the Active Runway should be wind from my nose, right?" No, the active runway will probably be the one closest to 150 degrees. The chances of it being on your nose are likely slim to none :o)

• I think from now on I'll just spawn and fire up Real Weather and set my wind direction in whatever scenario I'm running from that.

VooDoo

• Have you tried to enable MP from start on with life weather? For me this works.

• I'll have to try that.

VooDoo